With more and more people turning to eco-friendly living, businesses are also starting to take an interest; This includes gym studios. Eco-friendly gyms are on the rise.
Believe it or not, gyms can have a huge impact on how to reduce the carbon footprint, especially in the United Kingdom, where the fitness industry is thriving. Many are taking up this initiative because they understand the health of the planet directly impacts the quality of our health as well. So, if you’re a gym owner who is curious about ways of applying greener living to your health club, you are in the right place.
In this post, you will discover how eco-friendly gyms are choosing to live more intently. Find quick tips from how to pick out gym equipment and cleaning supplies all the way to why light bulbs and rubber floors make a difference. Here are 3 key things to pay attention to when learning to become more environmentally conscious so you can cut down on your energy bills.
The Three R’s
You might have heard of the three big r’s of going green: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. The idea is to alleviate the amount of rubbish being hauled off to already overflowing landfills. All you have to do is cut down on what you buy and then give more life to those items.
- As you know, plastic water bottles are one of the biggest offenders when it comes to waste. Trade them out and sell reusable ones (with your logo!) in their place.
- Offer a water fountain with a bottle filler for members to replenish their bottles.
- Set up a recycle bin.
- Limit your paper use and install a software management program like EZFacility. It can help manage sign-ups, waivers, class scheduling, pop-up events and more.
- Consider second-hand gym equipment instead of brand new.
- Upcycle everyday items and learn how to turn them into effective gym tools.
- Offer a selection of gently used workout clothes for sale in your merchandise shop that has either been donated by other members or hand-picked by you.
- Learn about recycled rubber and see if it’s a good option for your flooring. Not only is recycled rubber easier to manufacture and low on cost, but it also saves many old tires from winding up at the landfill. Research carefully though, as there are some drawbacks, including the smell and potential allergies.
- Bleach, ammonia and formaldehyde can irritate the eyes, skin and lungs. Replace harmful cleaning supplies with all-natural options like baking soda and vinegar.
- Instead of cleaning wipes for personal mats, offer spray bottles, natural cleaners, essential oils, and reusable microfiber cloths.
Some of the easiest changes to start making at your health club have to do with energy efficiency.
- Swap regular light bulbs with LED ones and save on energy bills right away. They live longer, don’t overheat and are up to 90% more efficient.
- Be mindful of water usage. One flush on an older model toilet can use double the number of gallons of water than a low-flow toilet would.
- Install a smart thermometer to help regulate your studio temperature by preprogramming when you want it to shut off.
- Occasionally turn off the air-conditioner all together and open the windows for cross ventilation instead. Only when it makes sense, for example, on cooler, breezier days. You don’t want anyone to overheat.
- Since you don’t need technology plugged in when it’s not in use, be sure to power down every night during close, or even between classes.
It’s smart to partner up with other companies who are aligned with the same goals as you. It helps you stay on track and also makes your overall mission in reducing your carbon footprint easier.
- Opt for eco-friendly flooring companies who offer rubber floors.
- Same for your environmentally friendly gym equipment.
- Purchase sustainable snacks with smart and ethical packaging.
- Replace your bathroom soaps with better-for-you artisanal ones.
- Include stainless steel reusable straws to sell alongside your cups.
- Team up with a reusable bag company for your swag bags at events.
With this list, you will be part of the eco-friendly gyms club in no time at all and gym goers will take notice. Kudos to you for going green!